Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What is Your Favorite Christmas Song?

Happy Birthday, Jesus by Etelle Levitt and Lee Pockniss, as performed by the Saint Mary Star of the Sea children's choir, accompanied by Mary Malewitz, directed by Evelyn Leonard.

Mrs. Leonard was my first music teacher. I can still remember some of the songs we sang then. She was my choir director for 6 years. I love Mrs. Leonard. This song was her favorite, and every year while in grade school I went with the children's choir to hospitals and nursing homes and shopping malls We all wore red and green and I remember every moment of it...For all you deprived readers whose lives have never been blessed by this song, I shall type out the lyrics for you. If you call me and ask, I'll sing it to you

Not a lot of people have heard this song. It is not on any album or CD, but this song still is my favorite and I still sing it to my kids.....So what is your favorite Christmas song?


HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!

Katy got a dolly that cries and blinks its eyes;
Jimmy got an automatic plane that really flies.
But we were poor that Christmas,
soMomma stayed up all night long,
Sitting in the kitchen making us a present;
it was this song

Church bells ring-a-ling;
angels sing-a-ling;
"Happy Birthday, Jesus."
Snowflakes ting-a-ling, sleigh bells jing-a-ling;
"Happy Birthday, Jesus."
All year long we wait just to celebrate this Christmas morn,
'Cause we want You to know we're so glad You were born.
Oh, have a merry, very Happy Birthday, Jesus.

Teddy bears get broken, and trains will rust away;
All the fancy playthings seem to fall apart one day.
But I was very lucky, when ev'rybody's gift was gone,I still had my present;
Momma's song of Christmas lived on and on;

Church bells ring-a-ling; angels sing-a-ling;
"Happy Birthday, Jesus.
"Snowflakes ting-a-ling, sleigh bells jing-a-ling;
"Happy Birthday, Jesus."
All year long we wait just to celebrate this Christmas morn,
'Cause we want You to know we're so glad You were born.
Oh, have a merry, very Happy Birthday, Jesus.

Christmas is for children, and now I have my own;
Their eyes are full of wonder when all the toys are shown.
But I'll give them something better than anything that's on TV
Something very special, something made forever, this melody

Church bells ring-a-ling; angels sing-a-ling;
"Happy Birthday, Jesus.
"Snowflakes ting-a-ling, sleigh bells jing-a-ling;
"Happy Birthday, Jesus."

All year long we wait just to celebrate this Christmas morn,
'Cause we want You to know we're so glad You were born.
Oh, have a merry, very Happy Birthday, Jesus.


*It really is merry, very ...don't know why, but it is....

I was doing a search on the web to see if this song exists anywhere...and I found a blog of someone I went to school with and he has this same song as his favorite too...MEMORIES!

1 comment:

lippysyd said...

Gosh that takes me back to our days in the children's choir at St. Mary's! I remember we used to sing that song as loud as humanly possible, lol.